In the past ”The Yin & Yang of Team Leadership” workshops and seminars, I have shared with departmental heads, managers and supervisors that we can draw wonderful lessons and learn great tips from both successful female leaders (Yin Leadership) and successful male leaders (Yang Leadership) in organizations.
In this post, I would like to share 3 great tips that we can learn from Yin Leadership:
Great Tip #1: Be a People-oriented Leader
Although it is important for managers to achieve work results in their teams, they have to remember to be people oriented as well. Team members who are respected and treasured would be more committed and motivated to give their best in their work.
How can we be more people-oriented?
- Spend more time & effort to communicate and understand our team
- Respect and build positive relationships with our team
- Be more understanding, kind and patient with our team
- Genuinely care for, help and support our team members for success
Great Tip #2: Be a Persuasive Leader
With more multi-generation teams at the workplace, managers need to lead, communicate and motivate them differently. The traditional communication style of directing, giving instructions and expecting total obedience may not bode well with the team, especially with Gen Y. We need to engage, persuade and influence our Gen Y team members.
How can we be more persuasive?
- Share ”What’s in it for them?” (WIIFM) benefits and rewards with our team
- Understand and address the concerns & objections of our team
- Be persistent to persuade and consistently demonstrate value
- Highlight negative consequences of non-compliance and/or inaction
Great Tip #3: Be a Nurturing Leader
Managers also need to teach, nurture and help their team to harness their strengths & work potential and grow to their fullest capability in the organization.
How can we be more nurturing?
- Believe in the potential of our team – see them as raw & unpolished diamonds
- Grow our team for their personal development & career progression
- Give positive feedback, compliments and praises for job well done
- Encourage and empower our team to take initiative and be self directed
What great tips do you have in leading and managing your team?
Share with me. \(”,)/
Ken is conducting his workshop on “The Yin & Yang of Team Leadership” at Furama RiverFront, Singapore (or equivalent) on 22 July 2015 and 19 Nov 2015.
>>To find out more…
Please contact Ken at ken(at)kenwongspeaker.com, if you would like to discuss on how to drive your managers and employee’s performance to greater heights (no obligations).