I am a Leadership Coach and had been conducting Supervisory Management & Leadership workshops for the past 16 years.
During my workshops, I had many learners asking me these questions, “How can I balance what the management wants with that of the employees?”, “What can I do to foster better relationships with my staff?” and “How can I be a better manager or supervisor?”
Let me share some tips here:
Tip #1: Be an Effective “Sandwiched” Supervisor
An Effective Supervisor is one who is able to balance the demands of the management and the wants of the employees. The management needs you – the Supervisor – to deliver great team results while the employees wants more pay and better bonuses. This is what you can do:
- Focused on delivering great team results. Build your reputation and credibility as a supervisor who can deliver results.
- Share your challenges and concerns with the management for “crazy” goals and targets. Where necessary, ask for additional manpower, time and resources.
- Encourage and help the employees to perform better. Let them know that with better results, you can help them to “fight” for more pay and better bonuses.
Tip #2: Build Great Relationships with All Employees
Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of our employees helps us in allocating work and assigning tasks. We need to build closer relationships to know them better so that we can maximize team performance. These are the 3 things that you could do:
- Spend more time having lunches and coffee sessions with employees
- Talk and listen more to the employees
- Help them when they are in trouble at work. Give good advice and deliver pep talks.
Tip #3: Balance the Yin and Yang of Leadership
It is important for the supervisor to do both the Yin (Caring for employees) and Yang (Asserting for results) at the workplace. A fine balance between them is required for leadership and supervisory effectiveness.
Ken is conducting his workshop on “Supervisory Management Skills” on 30 Apr 2012. >>To find out more…
Ken is bilingual, he can deliver his workshops and seminars in both English and Chinese effectively. He is also one of the authors of the book “88 Essential Secrets For Achieving Greater Success At Work” which is currently available in major bookstores in Asia, USA and Europe.
Please contact Ken at ken(at)proactivetrg.com, if you would like to discuss on how to drive your employee’s performance to greater heights (no obligations).